It has been 23 days since I last wrote a post for this blog. It’s not that I didn’t want to or that I didn’t have anything to say, but I lacked the energy and focus to sit down and put pen to paper (or fingers to keys). In the last 23 days Justin started his new treatment protocol, my team hosted the biggest event of our year, we (for the most part) moved grandma out of the house, had and cleaned up after an estate sale, packed up our house, moved, unpacked our new house, and now we are trying to get back into a routine. It’s pretty baffling to think that all of that happened in just under 23 days. What better way to get back into my personal routine than starting back up writing with High Five for Friday?
- I am a light sleeper, I have trouble sleeping in places that aren’t my bed, and without my sleep sounds app I, most likely, won’t fall asleep for hours after laying down. There are a ton of sleep sounds apps out there, but Relax Melodies is, by far, my favorite. My go to sounds are a mix of rain and oscillating fan. I set the app to run for six hours each night, once the six hours are up the app closes on it’s own. The Apple version of the app is far superior to the Android version, the ability to turn on the app but use the rest of your phone (to set an alarm, last minute text, etc) without shutting down the sound is worth it’s weight in gold! Which, I suppose the app doesn’t weigh anything so…
- Justin had his second infusion in his first “cycle” for the clinical trial he is participating in this week. The downside of a clinical trial is there is a very strict process that you have to stick to, which this week meant we had to bum around the hospital for 4 hours after his infusion to wait for his final blood work of the (ten hour) day. While putting all of his summer treatment dates into my calendar I realized that my annual Girls Weekend dates were treatment appointment free. I had previously decided to not attend since we didn’t know what this summer would look like. I looked up at Justin and said “If you’re still feeling okay and your appointments don’t change, I think I’m going to try and go to Girls Weekend.” He looked at me and said “Good. You need to go.” Done deal. Planning for Girls Weekend has started!
- Also while we were at the hospital this week, Justin texted my sister to invite her over for dinner. Since we now live 1/4 of a mile from each other, there was no excuse for us to not spend time together. So, last night my sister and Justin’s cousin came over for dinner – I made burrito bowls, although I am the only one that ate it as a bowl and not in a tortilla. After dinner Laura and I watched MTV’s Rivals 3 while Justin and Sam watched the Tigers. It was nice to have guests over, I was happy to cook and spend time with them.
- While it was great to be able to shut off my “work brain” for the last week, I was happy to come back on Wednesday. With our big event done and out of the way, I feel like I have a fresh start where I can be creative and build a new routine at work that will help alleviate some of the stress that has been piling up over the last few months. This includes spending more time in my office, which I will sometimes go a week without seeing. I will have spent two full days in my office this week by the time I walk out the door this afternoon.
- Home. I am loving being back in my old neighborhood, it just feels right. It’s still slightly strange to live in my grandma’s house but that is dissipating as we continue to unpack and settle in. My mornings getting ready for work are getting less hectic as I am more aware of where my things are and have stopped reaching for cupboards, drawers, and doors that aren’t there.